CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ouch...

A few weeks ago I got my ear pierced. That's right. One ear.

I had gotten both of my ears pierced long ago when I was nine, but I had a lot of problems with them then and had to take the earrings out. They thus promptly decided to close over, wouldn't you figure. *smile*

I then went back several years later to have them pierced once more and I again had problems...at least, with one ear I did. So I ended up with one ear pierced and one ear that had closed over twice! I didn't exactly want to walk around with just one earring in...though my sister Sarah kept claiming that I could start my own unique style. Nuh-uh! Not me!

Even with much trying I couldn't get an earring in that persnickety old ear. After hearing all about my earring woes, Sarah finally decided that she would help me and tried putting it in for me, but she actually just ended up puncturing another hole. I'm not kidding...let me tell you, that was one painful experience!

Finally, just a few weeks ago, my Mom (on the spur of the moment) talked me into getting it pierced once more. I know it sounds crazy after all that piercing and re-piercing, but she caught me in a unstable moment when I was surrounded by row after row, of all of these lovely, make-your-knees-go-weak, earrings. Very handily, (grrr!) there just happened to be an ear piercing station in the shop, and before I knew it my Mom had whisked me over there, saying that I just had to get my ears pierced.

It's not that I was afraid, per se....I just don't happen to like pain very much. I prefer to think of myself as a delicate, flower-like, sort of girl, who's lily white hands and skin are more easily injured than other girls (hee-hee), instead of just coming right out and saying that I'm a sissy.

I climbed up into that stool with my eyes as big as saucers (or so I imagine them to have looked) and my feet dangling down as if I were five years old again. I'm not sure if it was an extra tall chair or if my legs are just extra short, but either way, it made me feel more nervous than I already was, as everyone in the shop could get a good look at me if they wanted too. Which, by the way, is not a good thing if you feel you are about to cry.

Miss "Ear-Piercer" took her good old time getting everything ready, laughing and chatting until I was about ready to grab the collar of her shirt and growl out at her through clenched teeth... "Just get on with it, anyway!" But thankfully, before I knew it, it was over and I had a brand new earring in my ear to prove it. It really wasn't as horrible as my vivid imagination tried to make me believe it would be. It actually didn't hurt much at all.

So now I can hardly wait to buy all of the lovely new earrings that I can wear again! And just in case you were wondering, I haven't had any problems at all this time. I may have an ornery set of ears, but you have to give it to me...I'm persistent!

3 comments:

Kaila said...

Congrats! I got my ears pierced for the 1st time when I was about 6 yrs. old. The lady didn't do a very good job so they are a little off balance. I got my 2nd piercings when I was 13 and I just recently got my cartilage done. I like having my ears pierced. Next to wearing long twirl skirts and having my toe nails painted it's the only thing that makes me feel girly :-)

Rachel said...

That's awesome. I have 2 wholes in one ear and 4 in the other, so I feel your asymmetrical pain. :)

emme said...

Hahaha, Rachel! That's too funny!

Even though I have had my ears pierced quite a few times, I really only have two holes. So no one will be able to tell all of the pain and suffering I had to go to, to wear earrings!! : )

~Emily