CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 8, 2009

November...

I can hardly believe that November has crept upon us again. Where does Time take herself to?

These first crisp, autumnal days have been overwhelmingly busy ones for me. Beyond the extraordinary changes that have taken place in my life these past few months relating to my father, new challenges--difficult and bittersweet in turn--continually remind me that I can never take any aspect of my life for granted.

Sarah--my sweet, darling older sister--is getting married! As happy as I am for her, I can't help but long for the days when the most serious thing we had to worry about was whether or not we could convince our parents to let us stay up for just a leetle bit longer. I am so glad that she has found someone she wishes to spend the rest of her life with...but my heart is breaking over the fact that she will be moving so far away. What will I ever do without her??

Our days have been spent scrambling to finalize wedding plans & create the perfect menu for the bridal shower Elizabeth, my cousins and I have been planning for her. Melanie, Laura (aforementioned cousins) and I couldn't help but continually sigh as we traipsed after Sarah in the store as she was deciding on items to put on her registry. We all agree that this wedding business is too unbelievable. Who can believe that one of us is getting married...and picking out dinnerware? Though we are supposedly "all grown up," I can't help but feel that it's all pretend; just another one of our "dress-up" games.

Beyond the beautiful-but-crazy wedding planning, we all have been accustoming ourselves to the new job we started after our move a few months ago to a home closer to the rest of our family. The opportunity worked out for us quite well. A close family friend has an aunt with Alzheimer's disease who needs 24-hour care and as we have had experience dealing with this particular disease in the past--this sort of occupation for the three of us seemed a perfect fit for this time in our lives. The only real difficulty is the crazy hours. Right now I am working forty hours a week, but those hours are spread out over only two and a half "days." I work Tuesdays & Thursdays from 4pm until 8am the next morning & Sundays from 4pm until midnight. The most difficult aspect regarding this job is a definite lack of sleep. Beyond work, I hardly accomplish anything I want to these days as I am always so tired!

Once again, I am spending an evening at work when all I really long to do is curl up in a warm corner of our house, lighted against the creeping gloom of the outdoors, to watch a lovely classic film...something I haven't done in much too long a time.

Hmm...that isn't a bad idea. If I can only stay awake long enough...

Love,
Emily

3 comments:

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Congratulations to your sister! It's nice to see you writing again - I've been too busy to do much blog-hopping lately but I have been thinking of you and your family. I'm glad your job is working well for you...and I hope you get youself some sleep soon! I know the feeling of getting up after keeping much too late hours - but in my case it's usually my fault. :)

Emma Pearl said...

Oh Emily, how full your life has been!! How busy! It makes me miss you dreadfully.....

Did you get Grace's package?

Emma

Millie said...

This is a rather late comment, but I just had to post!

My sisters have both been married recently. And I understand that feeling. You wrote it down so beautifully...it almost made me cry! That joy for them, but also the sickening feeling about change.

But, change can be good! I am VERY glad of that! :-)

I hope you are doing well! I am praying for you!