CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

School Days...

I can't thank you all enough for your kind thoughts and prayers! You always have something encouraging or inspirational to share and you can't know how much it means to me.

School is going well...actually, it's going great! I am absolutely loving every small bit about it--I have been so entirely blessed by the whole experience.

I attend classes from ten a.m. to nine p.m. on Mondays and ten a.m. to four-thirty on Wednesdays. Mondays are a long day, but I'm so glad I was able to schedule all of my classes to fit in only two days. It saves so much on gas, and I know being away from my family for long periods over many days would be too depressing for me. So many people seem to think that it's silly and abnormal for families to be so close...but I really don't care! I've never really seemed to master that family-hating thing. *chuckle* We encourage each other in our small day to day life, and to be frank, I really haven't found anyone that is more fun to be around! ☺ It's been wonderful to have the right balance of school and home life--such a blessing to have both of my wishes fulfilled!

I'm taking 12 credits this semester. American History through the Civil War, Geology--which I love--English 131--another favorite for this long-winded writer ☺--Wellness, and Life Maps, which is a required, but extremely silly class. Supposedly, it provides freshman with all of the tools to succeed in college, but I think most everything we've covered would just take a little good, ole' common sense to figure out.

The only thing I've found to dislike so far is my writing teacher's affinity for happy little groups. Most everyone in the class was paired up in groups of four or more, but my group is one of only three. And you would figure...they are both boys. And I'm stuck with them for the entire semester. The one, blonde and thin, doesn't offer up anything except ridiculous remarks to the other boy (who just happens to be his best friend) that don't have anything to do with the work that we are supposed to be doing. The other boy thinks he is Mr. Wonderful and a fabulous writer, when he, simply and nicely put...isn't.

If we weren't being graded on the finished product it wouldn't be a problem...but we are, and Mr. Wonderful thinks his own work is so great that he won't use any of mine. As shy as I am, I became frustrated enough to speak up for myself...repeatedly, but when the paper was turned in to our instructor and read out loud, I realized he had cut out everything of mine except for one or two sentences that he mangled enough to completely change the meaning of.

I was so embarrassed that my name was linked to that story. It was simply awful and nothing really had come from me. It wouldn't be so terribly hard for me to accept it, but for the fact that this "class participation" is worth 5% of my grade. I know it doesn't sound like much, but every little bit is important to me when I work so hard to participate. I haven't gotten many quizzes or tests back yet, but those that I have, I've received the total amounts I could have.

*sigh* Maybe my teacher will let me switch groups? I doubt it. But is it really fair to have one member not participate and the other completely hog the work??

I've missed "talking" to you all so much! Thanks for letting me chat on and on...☺ I'll certainly be posting more over the next few days, so be sure to check back often! And...leave me a comment...or three! I always love to hear from you!

Love,
Emily




5 comments:

Melissa said...

It sounds wonderful. I am glad that everything is going so well. Although I share your frustration with the happy little groups thing.

It seems a bit odd to make you write together because writing is essentially an individual pursuit. To make you be in groups for learning to critique others work and to receive criticism of your own makes sense but actual writing, especially stories?

I suppose it is suppose to stretch your creativity.

Amy said...

Ah, good old school days. *sighs* But I'm glad everything is going well for you, and I hope the group situation will improve! ;)
I have classes the first three days of the week - 4 fashion design, and one English. The homework is already building up, leaving little time for blogging. *sighs again*
Well, I guess education is important! LOL!

Carla said...

Thanks for the lovely comment!
I love Marlon Brando. Yeah I kind of just grabbed random photos of him from google and didnt pay attention to getting the photos from "On The Waterfront" (the movie made in 1954 that I was mentioning on my blog).Oh and i think its one of my new faves now!

Good luck with school!
:)

Carla said...

Oh I can actually see why you would think On the Waterfront is a love story. Probably many people would!
And maybe it is but....
I was being a bit too general when I said it isn't. Because the movie does show how their love for one another grows stronger and such. But I felt that it was more of a Drama with a bit of a love story. I felt it was more about him becoming a better person rather? And when I think of the film, I don't think love story. But that is just my personal opinion! =D
Thanks so much for your comments! Very appreciated :) Im Glad you enjoy old films like me!

Emma Pearl said...

Oh!!

Missing you soooooo....

Emma:)